Thursday, August 27, 2009

Storytelling with Gabriel and Janell

I agreed to a storytelling session after a bribe over lunch (darn! should have asked for a more expensive one!), primarily because it was a new and interesting concept. While I've told a couple of stories at Read-with-me, those sessions were never accompanied by music, much less music by the Youth Excellence Award Winners! While excited, I was also apprehensive because I've always had a SCS coordinator and 20 other volunteers to help with crowd control. This time round, I have a much smaller (but later, I realised, very much powerful) army.

The first session was with Gabriel Ng on 15 Aug at Little Arts Academy. We told 2 stories - Prince Bear & Pauper Bear (PB&PB), and The Runaway Pancake.

While I had props (with some tinge of creativity, my childhood toys finally came into good use!) for PB&PB, we had so much more fun with TRP. Refusing to embarrass myself (although Aida, together with Gabriel's family were sweet enough to offer their companionship), I made the children sing instead! As it is more participative, its more engaging too.

Some interesting anecdoctes during the sessions, showcasing how children really say and do the darnest things:

1)Gabriel was introduced as a 14 yr old, thus not too much older than the children. One boy pointed to me and asked, when the room was in total silence, what my age was. Kua kua kua... to that I replied (since everyone was staring at me for an answer).. I'm not too much older than you too!

2)Midway through the story when I was really engrossed in the story, a cute little boy came up to me and tapped my arms gently. Innocently, he asked ' can I go to the toilet?' ..... ?!?!

3) I quickly said yes, and continued with the story. But, to my amusement, the boy went back to his seat! He must be waiting for me to BRING him to the toilet!

Presenting.... The runaway pancake.....


I had a fun time, gives me the best excuse to be a child again, to be dramatic and yet not be laughed at! (ok fine, that Gabriel kept laughing at me during our rehearsal).

The second session with Janell Yeo was on 22 Aug with the stories, Gilbert the Great, and Splat the Cat!

It was heartening to know that the kids still remembered Gabriel and my name. And the moment they sat down, they went 'No no no no No..."...... And this, really made my day.

This session was a little more nerve-wreaking for me though. Apart from the lack of sleep due to the 4am Semakau trip, I had to cope with my read-with-me child who decided to be uncooperative of all days! Really a test of my patience I must say. Immediately after read-with-me, I had to rush to LAA. In addition, the presence of media and videocams made the atmosphere a lot more tensed.

Nonetheless, I certainly hope the children enjoyed it as much as I do.

I was particularly pleased to be approached by a member of the public to storytell part-time at her private school after the session. Soon enough, I'll make this my second career. Ha! So Aida, if you are reading this, lets work hard ok!

2 comments:

yy said...

Hey, wanna see you tell melody story like this next time! =p

Peiting said...

Xuan's too dao for me. Anyway, the girl should be the one telling us stories (thats y i bought her the books)!

=P