Sunday, November 15, 2009

Sungei Buloh - 26 Sep 09

This is a super delayed entry - wanted to complete this while in UK, but I guess I forgot all about it amidst the enjoyment of quality family time.

Strangely on 26 Sep, SBWR was my first thought when I woke up that morning. Vaguely, I think I dreamt of the otters - 日有所思,  夜有所梦! So, I decided to make an impromptu trip there since I'll be out of action for a while. As expected, the otters and crocs (although I was secretly hoping to see them) were still elusive, but I had a very pleasant surprise!

Even before I stepped into the reserve, I was already greeted by many Olive-back Sunbirds. They were jumping from branch to branch of the Simpoh Ayer, and was too quick for me to capture any shots.

It was low tide when I reached the main bridge, and the migratory birds were mostly foraging the mud for food.

As I walked on Route 2, towards hide 1.12, 2 unfamiliar figures caught my attention! As usual, I frantically flipped through whatever books I have, but couldnt identify them. Samson, whom I met later on my way out, sms-ed me to confirm that its the Milky Stork (Mycteria cinerea), a vulerable species due to loss of habitat,
hunting or trade.









Although these 2 that I saw were likely escapees from the Jurong Bird Park, but still.. it is sureal to stand by the bank and watch them inch slowly towards me. They were barely 30m away thankfully, allowing me to capture a few pictures of them!

No comments: