Monday, March 8, 2010

6 Mar 2010: The many facets of our dear Otter

I just have to make a trip to Sungei Buloh after hearing narration of an encounter with the family of otters. Although I only had 1.5 hrs at the reserve (cos I overslept!) before heading to another voluntary prog, I was once again treated to the scenes of our amazing wildlife.

I headed straight to the fresh water pond and was disappointed to see the empty box, until I heard the rustling of leaves. Upon a closer look, I realised its a Smooth Otter (Lutrogale perspicillata) resting in the shade and not the usual Malayan Water Monitor Lizard!


It was rise and shine for the Smooth Otter, and it spent some time grooming itself.


It paused intermittently to check the surroundings, not sure if it was because of the sound of my camera's shutter.

'eh, what's that sound?'

Fexible like a gymnast, I must say it was really thorough in its D.I.Y grooming regime....



"Oh bother, whats that sound?!" *sian look*

*yawns*

Although the sun was already high up in the sky, this lazy fellow kept dozing off in the midst of washing up.


A few minutes later, it suddenly woke up and rolled over to rub its back (by twisting its body)! Reminds me of my school days - how I will jerk awake when my mum screamed at me in the morning while I dozed off in the toilet when getting ready for school.


Few minutes later, it laid down on its belly and dozed off again.


Its almost like a ritual: doze off, wake up, lick lick lick, doze off, wake up, lick lick lick...


The Otter finally got up on all fours and started sniffing the area. I thought it was at last all ready to embark on its day of adventure...


only to realise that it was just finding another good spot to sleep! Quite a lazy bum, eh? The temperature was probably getting quite hot, as the Otter finally decided to leave the box and went for a dip in the river, and soon disappeared from sight. Though shortlived, I was still quite pleased to have seen it. =)


At the main bridge, a flock of Egrets lined up orderly by the river bank, foraging in the mudflats for their breakfast.


I was pleased to see the Estuarine Crocodile (Crocodylus porosus) parked at its usual hideout, and was again thrilled by the other visitors' reaction when they see the crocodile. Really, the signboard is not a bluff!


I had lunch with Christie after Read-with-me near Chomp Chomp. On my way back along Lor Chuan, I saw a large bird soaring above, before disappearing into a tree top. My first thought was 'Eagle!' and my first (dangerous) reaction was to step on the brakes. I quickly turned into a private estate, got out of the car and ran towards the tree. 

Indeed, a Changeable Hawk Eagle (Spizaetus cirrhatus) perched majestically on one of the branches. I must have looked silly to passersby with my binoculars and camera (thank goodness I have them with me!) under the scorching sun by a busy road, next to a private estate. Then again, who would have expected such wildlife to surround us in such a highly urbanised country? 


3 comments:

Ivan said...

Nice observations! The raptor looks more like an Oriental honey buzzard though.

Raymond said...

Wow these are your best pictures yet...haha...

Peiting said...

Thanks Ivan.
You are right, think its the Oriental honey buzzard.. though my photos arent sharp enough.. =(