Monday, December 7, 2009

Hunting-seeking survey at Semakau - 5 Dec 09

As we eagerly await the arrival of the rest of the volunteers, dark clouds loomed the sky and we were hoping that it will rain and we can all rest  hoping that the weather will hold at least till we complete the last survey of the year.

There was light drizzle for a while, but the skies cleared after an hour of detailed briefing.

Again, there was a shortage of manpower, and a few of us had to conduct survey alone. I still have not figure out the best way of handling all the equipment - datasheet, pencil, id chart, chopsticks, container, camera, ziplogs, specimen containers, gloves, torchlight - at the same time, without getting the datasheet wet!

In any case, the survey still has to go on. Didnt take a lot of photos, partly because I didnt manage to spot many subjects in my zone, and also because my camera died on me halfway through the survey. While I had a spare camera, it just wasnt good for night shots. =(

Minutes after I started the survey, this fellow was darting around and I managed to catch it for a closer look. Looks like the Sentinal Crab (Macrophthalmus milloti) but wasnt too sure.




A mollusc which I colleceted as I couldnt quite identify it with the ones of the Id chart.




There were also countless Sand-sifting Sea Stars (Archaster typicus). This pair were in the midst of pseudocopulation. The male sea star is on top, with arms alternating with the female’s but their reproductive organs do not meet. Sperms and eggs are released outside the body when the tide comes in, thus they have to stay close to each other to increase chances of success.



There were also many Red Swimming Crabs (Thalamita spinimana) and a few were feasting on what looks like prawns.



Just after taking a photo of this crab, I dropped my camera into the water as I attempt to save my datasheet which still got wet in the end. =(
There were also several Fan Worms (Sabellastarte indica), which I didnt manage to take any pictures because they swiftly retracted into their tubes made of the their own saliva and sand, after sensing my presence.

LK also came to help towards the end of the survey and spotted 2 Spiral Melogena (Pugilina cochlidium), an unidentified anemone with intricate branching and a juvenile Sandfish Sea Cucumber (Holothuria scabra). We also collected what looks like a Hammer Oyster.

This post shall be a tribute to my camera who went through thick and thin with me, across continents and on all types of occasions. Sorry! I realllly didnt mean to bathe you in sea water. Sigh.

Yay! Its shopping time!